"English isn't our first language at home. We knew our son needed a much better vocabulary to do well in the Birmingham 11 Plus Exam but we didn't really know where to start. We'd tried some books but they were just tests. This course was a life saver and our son made excellent progress. It is intensive but we knew we needed to work hard to do well."
"This work for us had the balance we were looking for. It had some learning activities, revision and some really tough word puzzles which made our daughter really keep her vocabulary front of mind. Funnily enough the element which made most difference was the personal words lists. We used these every week and revised them as we were told to. it was an excellent and simple way of personalising her learning."
This is our full length vocabulary course. It is intensive and we have tried to pack as much into it as we can so it represents excellent value. See the preview for a good idea of what’s included.
What does it include?
- This course is fully planned with lots of revision built in to ensure children see words with the frequency that allows learning to happen. Children who follow the course and do the tasks as set will show a very considerable improvement in their vocabulary.
- It is a 40 part course with each part having 11-14 tasks within it.
- The work covers the following… words from past papers, synonyms, opposites (antonyms), homographs, homophones, commonly misspelt words, very difficult opposites, revision- you can see more detail in the preview.
- This course also includes a number of revision puzzles in each part which have been proven to enhance a child’s thinking and reasoning skills. Children who persevere with these puzzles and learn to work actively tend to have a larger ‘front of mind’ vocabulary. They will be better equipped to do well in vocabulary based tests.
When should pupils use this course?
- It has been designed to help children get into very competitive selective Grammar Schools or Independent Schools.
- It can also be helpful for advanced students wanting to enhance their vocabulary in preparation for SATs exams.
- It is most commonly used by families who have started preparation in plenty of time. Usually it is not used (because it would too intense) by families who have less than 30 weeks to go and is often used at a more gentle pace by families with more than 40 weeks to go.
- If the work is to be done over a shorter period than 40 weeks, work will need to be more intense. If a longer time is available then work can be spread out and done more thoroughly.
How will it be delivered?
- Once purchased you will be able to download and print the first part of the course directly from the site.
- You will receive an email a week later letting you know that the second part of the course is available to download from the Learning Street website.
- Your next part of the course can be released more quickly to enable pupils to cover the ground in a shorter time than forty weeks if necessary.
- We deliver all our courses to be printed out and completed on paper, they are not designed to be used on an electronic device of any sort. We do this because children learn best when using a paper and pen.
- Each part of the course includes its own bespoke answers section for every question.