"My daughter's preparation for her 11 Plus exam couldn't have gone better. The advice we received about being committed ourselves was exactly right. We set a time to do the work and broadly managed to achieve it. The course was very intensive so we did need to work hard, but it was worth it in the end. Without this course I'm not sure I would have known where to start or what to do when"
"We used a Private Tutor to prepare for the 11 Plus, but they recommended that we use the full 40 part vocabulary course as part of the process. We really can't see how it's possible to boost a child's vocabulary without this sort of work, it had everything- real learning activities, tests, revision, pieces of texts from classic books and even vocabulary puzzles which stretched our son no end."
This is our full length vocabulary course. It is intensive and we have tried to pack as much into it as we can so it represents excellent value. See the preview for a good idea of what’s included.
What does it include?
- This course is fully planned with lots of revision built in to ensure children see words with the frequency that allows learning to happen. Children who follow the course and do the tasks as set will show a very considerable improvement in their vocabulary.
- It is a 40 part course with each part having 11-14 tasks within it.
- The work covers the following… words from past papers, synonyms, opposites (antonyms), homographs, homophones, commonly misspelt words, very difficult opposites, revision- you can see more detail in the preview.
- This course also includes a number of revision puzzles in each part which have been proven to enhance a child’s thinking and reasoning skills. Children who persevere with these puzzles and learn to work actively tend to have a larger ‘front of mind’ vocabulary. They will be better equipped to do well in vocabulary based tests.
When should pupils use this course?
- It has been designed to help children get into very competitive selective Grammar Schools or Independent Schools.
- It can also be helpful for advanced students wanting to enhance their vocabulary in preparation for SATs exams.
- It is most commonly used by families who have started preparation in plenty of time. Usually it is not used (because it would too intense) by families who have less than 30 weeks to go and is often used at a more gentle pace by families with more than 40 weeks to go.
- If the work is to be done over a shorter period than 40 weeks, work will need to be more intense. If a longer time is available then work can be spread out and done more thoroughly.
How will it be delivered?
- Once purchased you will be able to download and print the first part of the course directly from the site.
- The next part of the course will be available to download the following day so you can progress at a pace that suits you.
- We recommend doing one part per week, however if you have more time available, for example if your child is not at school or during the holidays, you can start the next part whenever you are ready.
- We deliver all our courses to be printed out and completed on paper, they are not designed to be used on an electronic device of any sort. We do this because children learn best when using a paper and pen.
- Each part of the course includes its own bespoke answers section for every question.