"We used this course to help our daughter prepare for their Independent School 11 Plus exam. We started in September and the course was perfect for a relaxed preparation in the run up to the test in the new year. The elements of the course we liked best were the focus on accuracy and the scholarship level questions. Our daughter is quite advanced but it was amazing how much her accuracy was improved by a little more focus. Some of the scholarship questions were genuinely stretching. The timed papers were the icing on the cake."
"We tried for one of the really competitive London Grammar Schools and didn't get in. Our second choice was to try for a place at one of the Independent Schools. My son responded really well to the course. Somehow when he realised only 100% was acceptable on the easier accuracy focused questions it really switched him on. He found the scholarship questions challenging. The most useful aspect for us was the range of timed tests which, when coupled with the accuracy focus, really helped him to give his best. A scholarship was beyond him but we were thrilled he got a place."
This is an intensive course and we have tried to pack as much into it as we can so it represents really good value. See the preview for a good idea of what’s included.
What does it include?
- This course is fully planned, children are taken logically through a structured course designed to improve their performance in the most challenging forms of 11 Plus and Independent School Maths tests.
- The course includes lots of detailed work on the hardest forms of Maths questions children may face. All of these questions include fully worked examples.
- We also include at the end four full timed Maths papers with the typical structure of rapid calculations to start, lots of core questions in the central part and a few more difficult questions at the end.
- Because many bright children don’t work accurately enough on the easier questions we deliberately include lots of accuracy improvement work. Just as in the papers, children won’t find these questions challenging but they’ll be challenged by the need to work error free.
- Because the papers require children to work quickly and accurately through all the core questions before getting to the harder questions we also use ten reducing time core question papers to improve performance.
- We also revise core topics and enhance skills as we go, so for instance in one part of the course we revise probability; in another we revise division of fractions.
When should pupils use this course?
- It has been designed to help children with very competitive selective exams into Grammar Schools or Independent Schools.
- If a bright child is going for a super-selective Grammar School, then this course can give their Maths the boost it may need over the summer.
- If a child is trying for a scholarship or bursary at an Independent School or trying for an Independent School with a very competitive entry then this course can boost their skills in the period from September until their exam in January.
- The course is very intensive. It can be delivered in six weeks but anything less than that is likely to be overly intensive and children will not get best value from it. We recommend children ideally spend 10+ weeks doing this course to get best value from it.
How will it be delivered?
- Once purchased you will be able to download and print the first part of the course directly from the site.
- The next part of the course will be available to download the following day so you can progress at a pace that suits you.
- We recommend doing one part per week, however if you have more time available, for example if your child is not at school or during the holidays, you can start the next part whenever you are ready.
- We deliver all our courses to be printed out and completed on paper, they are not designed to be used on an electronic device of any sort. We do this because children learn best when using a paper and pen.
- Each part of the course includes its own bespoke answers section for every question.
People who bought this also bought:
- The Creative Writing Course (6-12+ weeks): This course is designed to help children develop their creative writing skills for 11+ exams.
- Vocabulary Boost (6-15 weeks): This is our shortest vocabulary course. It is very intensive and is fully planned with revision built in to ensure children see words with the frequency that allows learning to happen.